Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Gratitude - So Important in my journey

I've been thinking a lot about the concept of gratitude lately.  I think it's because when I started my Gratitude Journal many years ago, it had such a profound effect on my life.  I began with just writing the Top 5 things I was grateful for each day.  Some days the list looked very similar to a previous list and went something like this:
  • Grateful to my family who have always supported  me
  • Grateful to my husband who loves me for who I am
  • Grateful to have a roof over my head
  • Grateful to have clothes to wear each day
  • Grateful to have food on the table
Yes, it really can be that "simple".  But truly, these concepts aren't really simple.  They are often things that people can take for granted in their lives.  And once I started realizing just how much in life I had to be grateful for, my life changed.  I have so much more than many, and instead of comparing and contrasting how little I had compared to others (who seem to have more) - and focusing on just how many wonderful things I have in my life - my entire perspective changed.  It's a practice that I continue each and every morning.  It begins my day on a very positive note, and if/when I might be having a day that isn't so great, I can look at the journal to find inspiration.



If a gratitude journal isn't something that you currently do, I highly recommend starting one.  It doesn't have to be in some fancy leather bound journal.  For less than a $1, you can go to the local office supply store and get a spiral bound notebook or composition book on sale.  Use it to change your life and your perspective.  I would love to hear from you about whether you have tried using a Gratitude Journal and if you had any of the same takeaways.

Gratefully yours,
Beth

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Such a wonderful reminder to take stock of all that is good with our lives! A grateful heart surely alters our perspective! Thank you Beth!

    Leslie (Soul Quest)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leslie for your insights! Gratitude has truly changed my life, and I know it's shifted my perspective often. May YOUR day be filled with much gratitude.

      Delete